Wednesday, November 10, 2010

110

(click to embiggify)
I guess this deserves an explanation. Looker vs. Solarr?!? These characters are obscure by anyone's standards, so what's going on here?

Back in the 1980s, Marvel and DC Comics both published these encyclopedia-style series about their respective characters, The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and Who's Who in the DC Universe. One day last month, I knew I would have some time to kill after work, so I had this wild idea. Since it was October 13, I brought Marvel Universe #10 (for October) and Who's Who #13 (for the 13th) with me. Without telling them why, I asked two of my friends to pick a number between 1 and 32 (the number of pages in the books, natch). My pal Ida A. picked 17, which was Solarr (Marvel), and my pal Sophia J. picked 28, which was Looker (DC).

The rules I set for myself was that the whole thing had to be done that evening, meaning I had somewhere between 1 to 1 1/2 hours to do it and both characters should be properly identifiable, i.e. neither one should have his/her back to the camera.

Looker was surprisingly fun to draw, and Solarr was unsurprisingly... not. I've held onto this for almost a month now, thinking about whether or not I should spruce this up before posting it online... ink it... fix the somewhat iffy anatomy... draw a background, maybe? But ultimately, it's not worth it. I post it now because I decided to put it behind me. So here it is, warts and all.

2 comments:

Raz said...

Nice to see new updates! Never heard about the characters, crazy costumes.. Very nice for such a quick sketch.

Fredrik Sibe said...

Like I said, they are pretty obscure... Looker's costume is asymmetrical and strange, which is why it was fun to draw. It doesn't really show through in B&W but I think those white circles on her breasts are supposed to symbolize eyes, given that her name is Looker. Which is a little weird, but if she says "Hey! My eyes are up here!" you finally have the perfect excuse. Solarr's costume on the other hand is sort of generic and boring.